Voting

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tye-Dying a Shirt

Anyone remember tye-dying their own shirt at girl-scout camp with rubber bands? I do! I decided to get brave with dye this summer & do some of our own. I like the updated version without rubber bands, but swirls instead. But rubber bands are still totally do-able. And you just buy shirt dye at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/Wal-Mart. For the swirl version:
Wash your shirt once, then get it wet again & twist by holding a piece in the center of the shirt.
Twist until it's a tight mound like this.
Then set it on newspaper, mix the dye according to the box & squirt in a swirl. Carefully flip the shirt over & swirl the other side as well.
Carefully move it to a plastic bag to let it set. Let it set for most of a day. Then soak it in salt water to set the color & help keep the fading to a minimal.
You can do a second color swirl where the white is & have the two-colored shirts that I made for my fam below. Make sure to wash your shirts separately until the fading stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment