Voting

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Southwest Enchiladas


These are my favorite enchiladas! I love the summer veggies in them, but be warned: they are lots of work : )
1 tablespoon canola oil (& more for tortillas)
2 small zucchini, diced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 ear of corn, kernels cut off
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
salt & pepper
corn tortillas
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon lime juice
sour cream

I buy the rotisserie chicken from Wal-Mart or Target the day before & spend the 30 minutes it takes to pull all the chicken from the bone & shred it watching t.v. that night. Then I just throw it in the fridge to save time the next day.

Next day: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet over medium heat & saute zucchini, onion & corn.
Next, mix the veggies, chicken, cheese, 1 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a bowl. Adding more oil to the skillet, one at a time, cook the tortillas until softened, 10 to 15
seconds per side. Then fill the tortillas with 1-2 heaping spoonfuls of mixture, roll up, & place seam side down in casserole dish. I have tried to be healthy & skip the oil step, but then the tortillas just tear apart. Also, the recipe says it makes about 12 enchiladas, but I can always completely fill up 2 casserole dishes. It's great to make when you are having company & you will still have leftovers!
Bake in oven at 400 degrees until heated through.

In a food processor, pulse the tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, & 1/2 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. (I love this salsa & usually use at least 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos & 2 jalapenos for more of a kick.)
Serve the enchiladas with salsa & sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I will def use this one! I am loving your posts girlfriend :)

    ReplyDelete